Sunday 16 January 2022

4th Glossy Ibis arrives on patch & Red Kites in January

Another Glossy Ibis on patch is something I've been expecting for a while given the number that have been in the UK over the last few weeks, so it was nice to hear that Viv had spotted 3 on Friday 14th. I popped down as quickly as possible but missed them by 2 minutes; apparently they'd flown high and west, normally a bad sign here. 

However, roll on the following morning and I got another chance as Bun spotted 3 on Bridge Marsh! I hurried down but again they weren't there, but I did later see them distantly in flight, and then tracked them down to a field north of Bridge Marsh & the A3052. Not particularly close (they gave spectacular views both before and after, I hear), but great to see nonetheless. I also had a Greylag Goose on Bridge Marsh, my first of the year.

Here's a pic of 2 of the 3 ibises, at a range of 150-200ft, so not too bad.


Sunday 16th arrives and I popped down to Seaton Marshes for a look around and sure enough the 3 Glossy Ibises were still there. A bit later I spotted another one flying in from the south, and after double checking the other 3 were all still together, could confirm that this was indeed a 4th bird. 

Also of note were 2 Red Kites low over Colyton on Friday 14th, my first January sightings on patch as far as I can remember.

More pics as well as some video of the ibises to come once I've had time to sort them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment