Tuesday 20 September 2016

Buff-breasted + Pectoral Sand getting friendly...

Given how many fantastic photos of the Davidstow Airfield Buff-breasted have been put online I thought I'd try something a little different - going on a drizzly day. This does make getting decent shots significantly more challenging (poor light and wet optics) but the results can be really interesting. With the right shutter speed, the raindrops make little streaks across the image, something which I find looks quite pretty in some scenes. Things didn't go totally to plan; the forecast was for an occasional shower so I was hoping to get some shots of the bird both in the wet and in the dry. However it ended up peeing it down all afternoon; the Buff-breasted was looking really quite scruffy. The Pec remained looking smart regardless of the rain so all was not lost.

After initially finding the Pec in a separate area to the Buff-breasted, I was glad when they posed together for a while. This happened a few times but as they scurry around quite quickly it was often difficult to get a good shot. I'm pleased with this one though:

Pectoral Sandpiper (left) with Buff-breasted Sandpiper (right)


Here's a few more of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper:










And a few more of the Pectoral Sandpiper:






2 comments:

  1. Supreme photos as usual Mr Timothy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! Lovely showy birds. You were right about it being strange watching birders driving around the airfield looking for these! Once located I just parked my car slightly down from them (in the direction they were heading) and waited for them to come to me! Car hides work well it seems ha.

      Delete