Wednesday 29 March 2017

Little Gull showing well

Another morning text from Ian Mc had me hurrying out of the house, this time for a Little Gull at Colyford Common. I missed one there last year and thought I'd probably luck out with this one too as they rarely hang around in one area for long here. Fortunately it was still showing on Coly Common and I watched it for 15mins or so before 2 Peregrines flushed the BHGull flock that it was associating with. I later re-found it on Black Hole Marsh where it posed next to a 2nd Summer Med Gull briefly. It was quite flighty, alternating between feeding on BHM, the estuary and then heading back to Coly Common when I left shortly after midday. I had about 2 hours in total watching this bird which was rather nice! The only other bird of note from this morning was a single Swallow over BHM.

After heading home for lunch and some work I popped back out to see if the Little Gull was still about. I didn't see it again but Coly Common had at least 30 Sand Martins and 1 Swallow, plus there was a Knot on the estuary from Tower Hide (presumably the bird from yesterday).

The Little Gull was pretty distant (as are most birds on Coly Common) so the pics are a bit grainy due to being cropped in so much. Despite dodgy pics the views were great!





Little Gull in the front. 2nd Summer Med Gull with the obvious black head.


No comments:

Post a Comment